Level 1 Online Workshop 14 CPD hrs
Includes pre-recorded webinars and
live, practical, interactive webinars – October 30 & 31, 2021
Workshop for HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
Warning: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/breathea/public_html/wp-content/themes/weaver/woocommerce/single-product/meta.php on line 15
Level 1: Breathing Skills in Clinical Practice – Sept – Oct 2021
Learn the breathing retraining approach and techniques developed by physiotherapist and breathing educator, Tess Graham, to relieve conditions where a dysfunctional breathing pattern is characteristic and causes, aggravates or perpetuates symptoms, including asthma, COPD, anxiety, trauma & panic disorders, and sleep-breathing disorders.
This Level 1, 14 hour online workshop provides invaluable knowledge and skills in “breathing retraining” to down-regulate the stress response, reduce inflammatory and mechanical stress on the airways, improve oxygenation and greatly enhance clinical effectiveness. Immediate clinical application.
Health professionals with knowledge and skills in breathing pattern assessment and retraining have enormous potential to assist people with:
• Asthma, Allergies, Nasal Problems, COPD, Dyspnoea
• Snoring, Sleep Apnoea, Insomnia
• Anxiety & Panic Disorders & PTSD; Chronic Pain
• Mouth Breathing, Speech, Airway & Orthodontic Issues
Clinical data 1 show >90% of people experience significant relief or elimination of symptoms within 5 days commencing breathing retraining. First improvements are often seen within hours.
1.Clinical data gathered 1993-2017 – Breathing retraining programs at Breathing Training Centre, Canberra ACT.
This workshop is designed for psychologists, psychotherapists, social workers, clinical hypnotherapists, physiotherapists, occupational therapist, osteopaths, speech pathologists, OMT and pain, rehab and dental therapists who want to enhance their effectiveness with breath work or breath management within their modality. See workshop outline below.
- Health science qualification
* See info below.
DATES AND FORMAT FOR OUR 2021 ONLINE WORKSHOP
Level 1 Essential Breathing Skills in Clinical Practice
Introductory level of assessment and correction of dysfunctional breathing.
Includes relevant physiology, theoretical understanding of breathing retraining, personal experience of essential breathing skills, integrating physiologic normal and nasal breathing into physio, rehab, ADL, speech therapy, OMT, psychological therapy, counselling, hypnotherapy, pain management for relief of asthma, dyspnoea, anxiety, PTSD, chronic pain and sleep-disordered breathing.
Immediate clinical application. Workshop outline below. (14 CPD hrs)
Pre-recorded Webinars (theory, breathing pattern assessment, starting the process) (7 hrs)
- 10 video lessons
- Documents, slides PDF, and other material to download.
- Unlimited access for six months.
- Available from September 1, 2021 – to be listened to and studied before the live webinar sessions
Live Webinar Sessions (theory, practical, interactive, applications, case discussions, Q&A)
- Sat 30 & Sun 31, October 9 AM-12.30 PM (AEST) Australian Eastern Standard Time (6 hrs)
- 60-minute follow-on mentoring session – Date TBA – on a Saturday 9AM – 10.00am (1hr)
- Certificate of Attendance
- Workshop handouts/notes
- 14 hours CPD
Fee: $640 (inc GST)
- Health science qualification. See the “who should attend section”. If you are uncertain of your qualification suitability for this course, please give us a call on 0401 368 197.
- Currently doing, or having done in the past, a breathing retraining program for your own health and well-being.
- The BreatheAway online breathing retraining course (12 video-lessons) $149
- The step-by-step program in either of Tess Graham’s two books: Relief from Snoring and Sleep Apnoea or, Relief from Anxiety and Panic. (RRP $29.95)
- Having attended a breathing retraining program with an accredited breathing educator.
Your value, skill, and understanding of the patient’s perspective is greatly enhanced by having gone through the process yourself of improving your breathing.
What is this course about?
This 14 hour workshop presents the concept and unique breathing retraining skills developed by Australian physiotherapist Tess Graham. It will provide invaluable knowledge and skills that will have immediate clinical application.
The connection between acute hyperventilation and anxiety states and symptoms is well known. Not so well known is that hyperventilation or ‘overbreathing’ is often present in a chronic and hidden form, creating on a day-to-day basis, a fundamental disturbance in physiology and body chemistry. This ‘baseline overbreathing’ drives a sympathetic dominant state, depleting energy and priming a person for acute stress response. It may be behind a loss of resilience, or relapse, delay or failure to respond to a therapeutic intervention. It may underlie an experience of anxiety, dizziness or discomfort during therapies involving breath work. It is often an underlying factor in sleep disorders.
Breathing retraining is a science-based health education approach that addresses the physiological disturbance created by dysfunctional breathing. Restoring a more physiologically normal breathing pattern down-regulates the more primitive systems in the medulla – breathing and heart rate; it balances blood and brain chemistry, enables optimal oxygenation, and promotes the parasympathetic state. This is a vital key to effectively working on higher order systems – emotions and cognition, as well as improving general body functions, both at rest and during activity.
In this workshop, which is a combination of pre-recorded and live online sessions, you will learn to identify and address dysfunctional breathing. Relevant physiology will be used to explain physical and mental effects of dysfunctional breathing and how breathing retraining works to restore physiologic normal breathing. You will practice breathing exercises and strategies to apply in a clinical situation to defuse the stress response, facilitate relaxation, and improve and stabilise breathing for immediate and long-term benefits. You will learn from case studies and clinical and research findings.
You will learn
- To identify and address dysfunctional breathing habits
- Relevant physiology of breathing
- Mechanical, physiological, psychological, and biochemical effects of dysfunctional breathing
- The connection between dysfunctional breathing and asthma, anxiety and sleep disorders, chronic mouth-breathing, airway, orthodontic and facial development issues, functional GI disorders and the sympathetic dominant state
- Myths and misunderstandings about breathing
- Techniques to reset the drive to breathe and restore regular, comfortable, nose-diaphragm breathing with good posture
- Strategies to facilitate deep relaxation and relieve and prevent the stress response, breathlessness, panic attacks and insomnia
- Strategies for specific conditions, personality types and scenarios you see in practice
- How to teach clients to integrate better breathing into everyday life
- The food-breathing connection
- Application of more physiologically normal breathing into ADL and breath work in psychological therapy, speech pathology, hypnotherapy, OMT, cardiopulmonary rehab, hyperventilation disorders and pain management.
Who should attend?
Designed for physiotherapists, osteopaths, rehab and pain management therapists, psychologists and neuropsychotherapists, speech pathologists, OMT and dental-sleep professionals working with mouth-breathing and airway disorders, and other therapists who want to enhance their effectiveness with breath work or breath management within their modality.
Tess Graham is a physiotherapist and breathing educator, an experienced clinician and internationally recognised authority on breathing pattern dysfunction in children and adults. She has extensive clinical and research experience in breathing assessment and breathing retraining. She has worked exclusively in this field for 25 years, with over 6500 patients. She has been teaching private practice and hospital-based physiotherapists and psychologists in Australia and abroad, enabling them to enhance their clinical effectiveness and expand their scope of practice through offering effective breathing retraining. Tess is the author of Relief from Snoring and Sleep Apnoea (2012) and Relief from Anxiety and Panic (2017). She is accredited in the Buteyko Method of Breathing Retraining.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Registrations will be processed in order of arrival. Please register early to ensure you have a place at the workshop/course.
- Confirmation – a receipt will be emailed after your payment is made. A registration form will be emailed to you within 3 days. Your place is confirmed only after receiving back your completed registration form.
- Fees inclusive of GST
- Transfer to another attendee in full is accepted – but shared / split registration is not given the nature of this training. Transfer registration to another training not permitted
- DISCLAIMER: we accept no responsibility in the unlikely event circumstances beyond our control result in the cancellation of part or all of the event and we reserve the right to make changes to the training without notice
- Participants are expected to have appropriate registration and Professional Indemnity cover.
There can be no cancellations and refunds once the pre-recorded video modules of level 1 are commenced. Consideration will be given to transfer to a similar course if one is held in the future.
All cancellations will incur a $55 administration fee.