Tess Graham presents: Essential Breathing Skills, for fitness and health, and optimal sports performance
Dates: 18-19 March, Greenwich Sydney
For exercise, fitness and sports enthusiasts (Group A) and exercise and fitness professionals (Group B)
On our programs, elite athletes have recorded personal bests within 7 days of commencing breathing training
Out of breath? Asthma? Poor stamina? Lactic legs letting you down?
Inefficient, dysfunctional baseline breathing is the common denominator. No matter how hard you train, your performance will be limited when your baseline breathing pattern is sub-optimal. Elite athletes rate their breathing as the #1 factor that lets them down.
We take for granted our ability to breathe. But we can breathe well, or we can breathe poorly. And we can think we know how to breathe well, yet have it terribly wrong!
Few elite athletes can nose-breathe during exercise yet it conveys the best oxygen delivery.
Trying to breathe more air on purpose during exercise is exactly the wrong thing to do. It actually reduces the amount of oxygen reaching your brain, your heart and your muscles.
GROUP A & B The Breath Power workshop will teach you how to:
- assess your breathing pattern – see how it compares to normal (optimal) and what needs to change to improve your health, fitness and performance
- understand basic physiology of breathing and how faulty (and ‘too deep’) breathing is linked to asthma, nasal problems, anxiety, snoring and fatigue
- unblock your nose, breathe efficiently with nose and diaphragm during exercise
- prevent exercise-induced asthma, reduce breathlessness during physical exercise
- improve delivery of oxygen to brain, heart and working muscles
- delay or prevent the onset of lactic acid and fatigue
- recover faster between sets
- improve economy of running
- stay calm, improve focus during training and competition
- abort or reverse a panic attack
- improve sleep and energy levels (including reducing snoring)
- practice the 9 healthy breathing habits and integrate them into everyday life, activities and exercise
- monitor your breathing and ‘recondition’ the brain’s ‘breathing centre’ to maintain improved and efficient breathing
GROUP B Additional sessions for exercise professionals (sessions 6&7):
- how to identify dysfunctional breathing habits in your clients
- how to help your clients breathe better generally and during exercise and performance
- how to apply physiologically optimal breathing into Pilates, yoga and gym instruction and sports and fitness training
- how to adapt breathing coaching for exercise novices and experts
- follow-up, troubleshooting, discussing your cases, resources for exercise professionals and clients
Tess Graham, physiotherapist, breathing educator and sports breathing coach, established Australia’s first dedicated breathing retraining clinic in 1993 and is an internationally recognised authority on breathing, sleep and sports performance.Tess is the author of Relief from Snoring and Sleep Apnoea (2012) and Relief from Anxiety and Panic (2017). Tess has the highly-regarded Diploma in the Buteyko Breathing Method from Moscow and has worked with many elite and professional athletes.
PHOTO 1: Breathing easy after steep climb to Byron Bay lighthouse while comfortably nose-breathing (see video)
PHOTO 2: Breath control during swimming. Nose-breathing swimming video
LOCATION & DATE
CHEK Institute Australia, 20/130 Pacific Hwy, Greenwich, NSW
Saturday 18 March: 8.30am -4.30pm; Sunday 19 March: 8.30am-12.30pm (Group A) 8.30am – 3.30pm (Group B)
FEES GROUP A:
Earlybird $495 ($450+GST) Until 18 Jan 2017 PAY HERE
Standard $595 ($540+GST) From 19 Jan 2017
FEES GROUP B:
Earlybird $660 ($600+GST) Until 18 Jan 2017 PAY HERE
Standard $770 ($700+GST) From 19 Jan 2017
# Course notes & workbook (Value $25) Groups A & B
# CD and book (Value $50) Groups A & B
# Follow up session – online Group B
Following payment you will be sent the registration form.